Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Pavement or Dirt




Way back when I was in junior high my sisters and I did cross country running for our after school sport and we kicked ass.  We were consistently in the top 5 and it was great.  Come high school though we had other things to get into so we didn’t do it.  Now almost 19 year’s later (eek I just dated myself) I am getting back into it, loving every moment of it.  In September I have my first 5k.  This is the first one that I have done in a few years that is not the kiddie course or have obstacles to play on. Don’t get me wrong, those were really fun because I was doing them with my nieces.  But this one is for me.  To prove that I do still have it.

While I’m training to get my ass back into shape to be able to actually run the full 3.5 miles I have been plagued by really sore hip joints the day after running. Shin splints are much more tolerable than hip joint pain.  At least to me they are, and my shin muscles are getting stronger so it’s not bad anymore.  But the hip pain…Holy Hannah!!  Sundays are usually my rest days, but since I was frustrated with hubby I decided to go for a run.  I started out walking to get the blood flowing and all warmed up then started my running route.  I have discovered that I actually run better and longer on dirt than on pavement.  This brings me back to my cross country days as the scenery is much better on dirt trails than pavement and you get to jump over tree roots and rocks.  That is just fun and adds a bit of a challenge as you try to not trip.  I’ve noticed my body is getting stronger each time I go out.  It is also fueling my old desire to get out and run more.  Sunday I was proud of myself as I ran a total of 1.5 miles out of the full 4 mile route I chose. 
Not too shabby for a gal that just started a little over a month ago and could barely run 20 feet without feeling like I was going to pass out from breathing so hard.  The best part about it is my hip joints barely hurt the next day unlike when I run on pavement.  So from now on, I will be running on dirt or grass, exploring the horse trails and staying off the pavement unless there is no other option.  I can deal with the pain later as it’s usually nothing a hot bath can’t cure.

No comments:

Post a Comment