Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Road Trip


Craig and I took our first road trip together to Arizona to visit his parents.  We left on Friday and came home on Monday.  His parents live off Historic Route 66 and then approximately 5 miles off a dirt road.  It was fantastic.  We stopped at the Hackberry General Store and I went into sensory overload.  It was the coolest little store I had ever seen.  There were old cars everywhere, run down barns, old Burma Shave road signs and gas/oil pumps. 


You could say, this would be a great start for a thriller movie
 
Their house is located in the middle of rocky hills with awesome views.  You can hear the trains in the distance and see Route 66.  Craig I and went hiking around the property a little bit and found some really cool rocks and some dried up cactus that we brought home.  Chuck (Craig’s dad) was giving us a hard time about taking off with his stuff.  I told him we were clearing the property.  We decided to hike up one of the hills and found a few dens from the local wildlife and lots of cow flops.  Apparently they let the cattle roam free.
Taken from the garage at Craig's parents garage
and the hill that we hiked up

 
View from the top of the hill

Saturday we went to the town of Oatman located off Route 66.  It was a very cool little town that had wild Burros hanging around that you can feed.  The babies have stickers on their foreheads telling you to not feed them as they could choke, but the adults were all over the free food from the people.  Saw a wild west gun fight and just walked around checking stuff out. 

 
Sunday we checked out a few used car lots.  But these were not your ordinary used car lot.  Their inventory was the classics that had true hot rod potential.  I wanted to take them all home.  After drooling over the cars, off the winery we went.  I had no idea that wineries existed out there in Arizona as I thought it would get to hot for the grapes, but I was wrong.  They had planted their grapes and have to wait 3 years for the grapes to grow and harvest.  So right now they are having the grapes trucked in from Napa or Pasa Robles.  The wine was pretty good though.
 
 
I wanted to stay longer, but had to come back to work.  Chuck and Lorraine are awesome people and I can’t wait to go back.  It was a much needed break for both Craig and I.  We got to spend more time together and we do make a great traveling pair.  Craig is really motivated this week to go through his stuff and start moving in.  I have to get my butt in gear and start rearranging and condensing stuff to make room for him.  Not that I have much, it’s just spread out and needs to be consolidated or gotten rid of.  So let the moving begin..woo hoo!!


No comments:

Post a Comment