Thursday, April 4, 2013

Facebook Post


“This is my friend Sean, he has been bullied in school recently about his looks and his self esteem is just a little low, can we get a few likes to show he's beautiful ? :')”

I saw this post from a friend who shared it from somebody else’s Facebook page. I have not included a picture of the little boy that was posted, but he is your average looking little blonde haired boy.  I got a little upset when I saw this for a number of reasons.  Putting this stuff on Facebook is teaching him that it matters what society thinks about you. When in all reality it does not.  Ultimately it matters what YOU think about you.  Nobody else, especially on Facebook.  AND it’s setting him up for more ridicule from people, because they are just assholes that way.  Afterall, it’s easy to hide behind a computer when tearing people down.  This is not teaching him to stand up for himself. My sisters and I were relentlessly bullied in school.  We were tripped on purpose, I had nose boogers wiped on me and they were ruthless because of our last name.  That is just to name a few.  But we were taught to stick together and stand up for ourselves.  Once we spoke up, they left us alone for a little while.  We were also taught that it doesn’t matter what they think only what we think of ourselves.

Growing up is not easy and kids can be cruel.  We all know that words can tear a person down really easily so those doing it can feel better about themselves.  For this person to put his friend up on Facebook seeking approval from society about how beautiful he is is wrong.  I read some of the comments and they were positive and some had the same message that it doesn’t matter what they think about you, it’s what you think about you.  But they need to teach him to stand up for himself.  Life sucks and will tear you down in heartbeat if you let it.  To turn to society every time your self esteem gets a little low for approval is going to make for a long hard life. 

This is just my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment